I am obsessed with Avocado these days! I love how creamy they are and how they taste with salt sprinkled on top. I love them in salsa (like our Cajun Salsa with Prawns and Avocado) or smashed in Guacamole, or cubed up in salads like this one. Not only do they taste amazing, they are also extremely good for you! They are packed with healthy fat, fiber and antioxidants.
I love them so much that I often eat an Avocado every day. At least half of one. Especially on my salads. They add a creamy texture to a salad which is nice when you want a creamy salad, but you don’t want a creamy dressing. Ya know?
Debbie and I eat A LOT of salads! Especially when we are eating really clean and working out lots. Even though I eat a ton of them, I still find that I crave a salad when I don’t have one for a while. The green crisp lettuce, ripe juicy tomatoes and brightly colored peppers… Its salads like this one that keep them from getting boring and monotonous as they can when you eat one almost every day! It has tons of color and flavor and the dressing is fresh, a little bit sweet and a little bit tangy!
Speaking of salad dressing, I started making my own quite a while ago. Now I can never go back to store bought, although once in a rare blue moon, I like a salad with crispy lettuce and Thousand Island… I cant help it! Besides, making your own dressings is super easy and then you know exactly whats in it. I cant stand how many of the dressings out there these days have unpronounceable and unhealthy or even toxic ingredients. Would you like a little Titanium dioxide or Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate and Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) with your fresh and healthy veggies? Oh, you would? Perfect, because your getting some with that Kraft Italian.
Ok so enough of my rant… Just give this Honey Lime Dressing a try and you will not only love it, but you will see just how easy it is to make your own.
Chicken and Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- 1 cup Kale chopped
- 2 cups Lettuce chopped
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1/2 Pepper (Red, Orange or Yellow) chopped
- 1/2 Avocado diced
- 1/2 breast of cooked Chicken chopped ( I like Cajun spice on mine in this salad)FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 oz fresh squeezed Lime Juice (about 2 Limes)
- 2 oz Olive Oil
- 1 oz Honey
- 1 oz Mustard (I used French's, but you can use Dijon or any Mustard)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix your lettuce and kale on a plate. Add the chopped peppers and tomato.
- The best way to dice or slice an avocado is to slice in half first, then with a sharp knife cut into the flesh length-wise and then width-wise being careful not to cut through the skin. Then take a spoon and just scoop out the flesh. It will be cut perfect for you. No fuss, no mess.
- Add your avocado to the veggies.
- Add your chicken right on top.
FOR THE DRESSING
- In a mason jar with a lid, or some other small jar with a lid, squeeze in the lime juice, pour in the olive oil and mustard.
- If you want, heat up the honey a bit before you add it in. This will make it easier to combine with the other ingredients.
- Add the salt and pepper. You will probably want about 1/2 teaspoon of each.
- Shake it well and drizzle it on your salad.