Everyone loves Taco Salads. Whats not to love? The crunchy tortilla bowl, crisp greens and veggies, spicy meat, creamy avocado, a delicious dressing with a kick, all topped with cheese and crunchy tortilla strips! And its so easy for everyone to top their own salad with the toppings that they like. Not everyone likes avocado or tomatoes (Kevin!), so this salad makes it easy to cater to everyones taste because you make them individually anyways.
So what sets our taco salad apart from all the rest, you ask?
It’s the amazing dressing that Debbie made to go with it. Its soooo good. It is sort of like 1000 Island Dressing, only much much better. Its creamy and chunky with a little kick of spice. Debbie is a bit of a baby when it comes to heat 😉 so if you like more, you can always add some to our recipe. Or add some jalapenos to your salad. I like pickled jalapenos on mine!
I have said it before, I love homemade dressings if for nothing else than you can control what goes into them. I don’t know about you, but I dont like eating chemicals, preservatives, and things I cant pronounce if I can help it. Kevins favorite salad dressing is 1000 Island so I will be making a bunch of this to keep in our fridge!
We made our salads in a tortilla bowl. Cuz we like them and they look cool! But these ones are baked, not deep fried like the ones you get in the restaurants. Those taste pretty good, I gotta say, but they add a whole bunch of calories and fat to your meal which turns a healthy salad into a junk food meal. The baked tortilla bowls are still really tasty and they hold their shape well!
Obviously, you don’t have to make a tortilla bowl to serve this in. I often don’t when I don’t have the time, it just looks cool for special occasions or when you are making this for guests. If you do, they are really easy, you just rub or spray some oil on both sides of the tortilla, drape over a small bowl and bake in the oven at 375 for 13 mins or so.
And then eat!
- FOR THE 1000 ISLAND DRESSING
- ¾ cup Mayo
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 clove Garlic graded
- ½ tsp Chili Garlic sauce
- ½ tsp Chipotle powder
- 1 tsp Sweet Red Chili
- 2 tbsp Sweet Relish
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Salt
FOR THE TACO SALAD
- 1 lb ground Turkey
- 1lb ground Chicken
- 1 cup Water
- 2 packages of Taco Seasoning (any kind)
- 1 head Red Leaf Lettuce
- 2 cups Kale chopped
- 1 Cucumber, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 Pepper, diced
- ¼ Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Dill Pickles, diced
- 1 Avocado, diced
- Few Pickled Jalapenos or Banana Peppers
- Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Tortilla strips or crumbled Doritos
- FOR THE DRESSING
- Add all the ingredients to a canning jar. Screw the lid on and mix well. We use a canning jar so we can put a lid on the left overs and keep it in the fridge.
FOR THE TACO SALAD
- In a frying pan brown the chicken and turkey then drain the fat content. Add the taco seasoning and the water and simmer for 10 mins.
- Wash the lettuce and kale then cut into bite size pieces. Add to one big bowl or individual bowls. We like individual bowls.
- Chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, pepper, and pickles, avocado and slice the red onion thinly add to the bowls or bowl.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- When the meat is ready. Top each salad with a portion of meat and then cheese. Drizzle some of the dressing over top and sprinkle with tortilla strips or crunched up Doritos.