These Turkey Burgers are Debbie’s creation. They are amazing! Full of flavor, lean protein and hella good for you. We never eat these burgers with a bun, although you could if you wanted to. We just like to eat them as is, with Debbie’s Cilantro Lime sauce.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who love cilantro and those who hate cilantro. There’s no middle ground where cilantro is concerned. If you are not a fan of cilantro, you probably wont like these and I feel sorry for you. There happens to be a whole bunch of cilantro in both the burgers and the sauce. You could try taking it out of the burgers and replacing the cilantro in the sauce with basil and chives (like the sauce for our Zucchini and Carrot Fritters with Chive and Basil Sour Cream), but I haven’t tried it so I can only imagine that it would be good like that too.
We love the super fresh taste of the cilantro, and mixed with a bite from the garlic and tang from the zesty lime, these burgers are on point.
Later Addition: If you are a cilantro hater, take the cilantro out of the burgers and instead of the cilantro lime sauce, serve these burgers with our Avocado Ranch Dip. I’ve tried it and it tastes fabulous too!
The sauce is really simple. Just a few ingredients mixed together, but the flavors of the burgers are mirrored in this bright and creamy sauce.
I could honestly just eat it with a spoon!
Debbie had some turkey wontons kicking around from making Wor Wonton Soup. I covered a couple wontons in this sauce and I nearly died and went to heaven lol. So freeking good! I got Mark trying it too and Debbie gave us shit for eating the wontons lol. We couldn’t help it. After we tried one, we had to try another…
One thing about this sauce though, it doesn’t last too long. I have had it in the fridge for a week, but the cilantro starts to get pretty wilty by then. Its best used within a couple days.
I like to make a bunch of these and freeze some of them. Then I can pull them out whenever I have a craving, whip up some sauce and put them in my belly. Two of these burgers and a salad is my idea of a perfect meal! Kevin and Jessica both don’t like cilantro so I get them all to myself 🙂
I also like to take them to work with me for lunch. In fact I had one for lunch every day this week 😉 Everyone asks me what I’m having because they smell so damn good!
If you wanted to eat these with a bun like a “normal” burger, I would eat mine with some sliced red onion and crunchy romaine. And a I would spread both sides of the bun with this tasty sauce.
Let us know how you eat them!
Turkey Burgers with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 kg ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic , pressed
- 1 bunch green onions , chopped fine
- 1 bunch cilantro , chopped fine
- 1 lime , juiced
- salt and pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp oilFOR THE SAUCE
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 1 clove garlic , pressed
- 1 lime , juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro , chopped fine (you can put more if you like too)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Make the sauce quickly first.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Cover and set aside.
FOR THE BURGERS
- Add the turkey, garlic, green onions, cilantro, and lime to a large bowl.
- Mix till combined, but dont over mix it. Its best to use clean hands for this.
- Shape the turkey mixture into equal sized balls for burgers (or smaller ones for meat balls)
- Press the balls to shape into burgers. They should be around 1/2 an inch thick at least.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a pan on medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil and then the burgers to the pan.
- Cook for about 4 - 6 mins on each side until the burgers are cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Serve right away with the Cilantro Lime Sauce.
Recipe NotesIf you don't like cilantro, try taking the cilantro out of the burgers all together and replacing the cilantro in the sauce with basil and chives.