Sophisticated but easy homemade hummus dip with garlic, a little lemon, and plenty of truffle oil. It’s like no other hummus you have tasted and you will never want it any other way!
When Kevin and I were doing our home renovations, we were lucky enough to have some friends and family bring us dinner once in a while. On one such occasion, my friend Jenn and her fiancé Tristan, came over with a delicious Mediterranean dinner to share with us. The whole meal was really really good! Jenn is becoming quite the little cook, I must say…
While we were waiting for the chicken to cook, Jenn brought out a package of hummus that she had bought at the store on the way over. Truffled Hummus!! I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before! The store bought one was surprisingly good. I’m not usually a fan of store bought hummus, but I liked this one. So of course it got me thinking how good it could be if it was homemade.
Kevin and I finally moved into our house and Debbie came over shortly after to cook for the blog and make this amazing roast beef for a little get together we were having that night. We also made our version of truffled hummus as an appy for our guests. As I suspected, it was way better homemade! Even Kevin loved it and he’s a hard sell for new things :).
Along with the hummus we made some baked pita chips as well, since those are also way better homemade. These are so easy and way more flavorful and healthy than their store bought and deep fried counterparts. They only take about 6 or 7 mins in the oven and they get just as crispy. You’ll never buy pita chips again, I tell ya.
If you are a hummus lover, you absolutely must try it made with truffle oil. It gives plain old hummus such an interesting and elegant twist. Make it just as awesome for game day or as an appetizer fit for a casual dinner party. Say you served it in little individual shooter glasses with a couple of these crispy and flavorful baked pita chips. I know I would love it served to me…
Truffled Hummus with Baked Pita Chips
Sophisticated but easy homemade hummus dip with garlic, a little lemon, and plenty of truffle oil. It's like no other hummus you have tasted and you will never want it any other way!
- 1 can chickpeas , drained
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup truffle oil (If your truffle oil is very strong, use half olive oil)
- 1/2 lemon , juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt , or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 pitas
- olive oil to coat both sides of each pita (about 2 or 3 tbsps)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp herb de provence
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Put all ingredients (but only half of the truffle oil to start) for the hummus into a food processor. Blend well until smooth. You might have to keep scraping down the sides.
- Taste it and either add the rest of the truffle oil or use olive oil instead if your hummus is very truffly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
MAKE THE PITAS
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread out the pitas and brush olive oil over both sides. Cut the pitas into 8ths and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle with the salt, garlic powder, herb de provence and the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 6 or 7 mins and remove from the oven. Let them cool slightly before serving.