Its corn season! Finally!
We are lucky enough around these parts to have some of the best corn in the world! Im actually not really sure if that’s true, as far as the world goes, but Chilliwack Corn is known as the best by many and we look forward to the little drive thru shacks opening up all over the place selling the sweet corn. I can even get corn at the gas station I always fill up at.
I happen to think that’s kind of cool.
There is also this little vegetable stand that Debbie and I absolutely love called The Veggie Shack! Its right on the side of the road when I take the exit off the highway to Debbies place (Prest Rd exit). They always have Chilliwack corn, but they also have no spray veggies of all kinds, heirloom tomatoes, and the best no spray strawberries and blueberries every year. They also sell Okanagan fruit every year as well! Its our favorite little veggie stand and where we often get our corn from in the summer.
One of my favorite things about living in the Fraser Valley is having these types of little veggie stands here and there in the summer. 🙂
Debbie first made this corn salad a couple years ago when we went camping. It was a huge hit and we have been making it lots in the summer ever since. The sweet corn mixed with the fresh cucumber and cilantro is so good and then the slight bite of the red onion, all topped off with a fair amount of slightly salty feta is like an amazing treat for your taste buds. Its got that sweet and salty thing going on. I think it would also be really good with Avocado although I haven’t tried that yet.
Im going to say that if you don’t have fresh corn available, you could use canned, but honestly, even if you don’t have freshly picked corn like we do, you should really try to use the stuff on the cob. The only time you should use canned corn is in the winter and you are craving this salad. Or if you are in a country where you cant get fresh corn. Anyways, you get the picture.
Debbie last made this salad for a bridal shower she went to a couple weeks ago. I was over at her place that day and I found this huge corn salad in the fridge outside on the deck. I couldn’t help myself, I kept stealing bites when she wasn’t looking…lol. Its so good!
I guess I shouldn’t tell on myself, should I? 😉
Summer Corn Salad with Cucumber, Peppers and Feta
- 3 cups Fresh Corn (about 5-6 ears of Corn)
- 2 cups Red Peppers diced
- 1 1/2 cups Cucumber diced
- 1 cup Red Onion
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Feta Cheese
- 1 cup CilantroDressing
- 3 tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil
- Cook the corn till tender either by boiling it or roasting it. Take the kernels off the cob, put it in a bowl and cool.
- Dice the peppers, onion, and cucumber in nice small piece. Add it to the corn when the corn is cool.
- Crumble the feta into the bowl.
- Chop the cilantro and add to corn mixture.
- Mince the clove of garlic either by using a knife or a small grater.
- Add the garlic and the rest of the ingredients into a container with a lid and shake
- Pour over salad. Set the salad in the fridge for 1/2 an hour before serving.