We are back from Vegas. We survived and have now fully recovered. Lots of sun and lots of fun! Im going to save the Vegas stories for Fridays post, though. We’ve taken a few days off from the blog. Debbie went to Revelstoke to check out a logging job that Mark might do up there. I went back to work and finally got my vegetable garden planted and my flower beds weeded. I’m very excited about it! I’m sure I’ll be telling you lots about it in the weeks to come. I love watching it sprout and grow. I cant wait to make a salad or a stirfry straight out of my garden.
Blogging is a lot of work! All you bloggers out there know this! It felt great to take a week off, recharge, and get some other things done around the house.
But now were back and we have one of the most unique and delightful strawberry recipes I have tasted in a long long time! Strawberry Pizza!
We don’t get fresh strawberries here until at least June, but strawberry season is in full swing in California and we are getting some pretty tasty strawberries in our stores these days. They are good, but they just build the anticipation of strawberry season in the Fraser Valley where we get strawberries in the markets that have been picked that morning. They are so juicy and fresh. Incredible. This pizza will be even more amazing when we make it in June or July.
That said, this pizza is pretty irresistible now. It certainly has that WOW factor. From the presentation to the taste, its an all round show stopper. Imagine you put this down in front of your guests at a dinner party… They would be all over it. Plus, its so easy! The hardest part is rolling out the crust.
Thin , slightly crunchy crust topped with a sweet, homemade strawberry sauce, loaded with juicy strawberries, fresh buffalo mozzarella, maple roasted pecans, tangy balsamic reduction and finally sprinkled with a generous handful of fresh basil. Absolutely over the top incredible. Its one of those recipes that is outstanding from the first bite to the very last! Honestly, I can’t even tell you how good this is, you just have to try it. I wanted to eat this whole freeking pizza!
Debbie and I can’t take the credit for this pizza entirely. Debbie was at my place and we were cooking up a few recipes. We were watching the Food Network as we cooked and “You Have to Eat Here” came on. It was playing in the background as we went about our business until, almost in unison, we flipped around to look at the TV. On the screen was a strawberry pizza being made in a restaurants on the show. We knew immediately that we had to make one!
Our pizza is a bit different than the one we saw on TV. We would argue, better. Ours has two kinds of cheese, maple roasted pecans, and basil. Theirs did not. Theirs used strawberry jam, ours uses homemade strawberry sauce. Just saying…
Just looking at those pictures makes me want to get out my kitchen aid and make up a bowl of pizza dough. Since I have had it before, when I’m looking at it, I can taste it!
If you love strawberries, or even just like them, get your own dang mixer out right now and just do it!
You can thank us later…
- TO MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 21/4 active yeast or 1 pkg
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ cup olive oil plus 1 tsp
- ¼ salt
- ¼ cornmeal
FOR THE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- 3 cups strawberry chopped
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
FOR EACH PIZZA
- 1 8" cooked pizza crust
- ¼ cup strawberry sauce
- 1 small ball fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 5 or 6 strawberries, sliced
- ⅛ cup feta cheese
- ⅛ cup maple roasted pecans
- ¼ cup basil, thinly sliced
- drizzle of balsamic reduction
- TO MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH
- In a measuring cup, add the warm water, honey and yeast. Set aside for 5 mins.
- In the mixing bowl of your food processor add the flour and salt and then stir.
- When the yeast mixture is bubbling, add the yeast mixture and ¼ cup olive oil to the flour mixture. Mix on medium for about 5 mins until its well combined and the dough looks nice and silky smooth.
- If its to sticky add 1 tbsp at a time of flour or if its too stiff add 1 tbsp water at a time till soft and smooth.
- Oil the sides and bottom of another bowl with the rest of the oil and place the dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and put it in a warm place to sit for a bit and rise.
- Let it rise/rest for at least 25 mins or until it doubles in size.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven now to heat with the oven.
- Punch it down and break into evenly sized balls for your pizzas. You will need a ball the size of a tennis ball for an 8 inch pizza.
- Sprinkle a little flour and corn meal on a clean surface and roll the ball of dough out to your desired thickness.
- Cook your pizza on a pizza stone or on a parchment lined tray. Or you can also use your bbq grill. Cook for 5 mins and flip and cook another 5 mins till slightly crispy but not too browned.
- Take out and add toppings
FOR THE STRAWBERRY SAUCE
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Turn to low heat and simmer till it thickens. This will take about 15 mins.
- Set aside to cool.
TO ASSEMBLE THE PIZZA
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- First spread a thin layer of the strawberry sauce over the pizza crust.
- Add the fresh strawberries and buffalo mozzarella and a sprinkle of the feta.
- Place in the oven and bake until the mozzarella is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with a sprinkle of pecans, chopped basil, and finishing salt.
- Finish by drizzling balsamic reduction over the pizza.
- Cut into slices and serve!