Fathers day is coming up this weekend. How are you celebrating?
We have another man-friendly, easy and freekishly good sandwich to share with you. Its perfect for Fathers day lunch or for lunch while your camping like us this weekend. Its made with thinly sliced, barbecued, and very tender flank steak, sweet caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and creamy melted havarti cheese. The sauce isn’t anything special, but simple mayo and mustard finishes this sandwich off perfectly.
Debbie and I always make these sandwiches when we have left over grilled flank steak. We love great recipes that are made with leftovers! Having a satisfying and tasty meal to make from leftovers of anther great meal makes our lives just a little bit easier. We obviously love to cook or we wouldn’t be blogging about food (duh) but some days I just don’t feel like coming home from work and cooking dinner. You feel me?
Yes, we are going camping again! This time were packing up the trailer and heading out to Tulameen, BC which is about 30 mins down into the valley outside of Princeton. It’s one of our favorite places to go camping. The quading (ATV’ing) trails wind all around the mountains and we often pack up for the whole day and just go. The country is absolutely stunning. Mountains all around, lake in the middle, and a crystal clear river weaving through the center. Best of all, we get to see some great friends when we go there. John, Cindy, Tanis and her boys, Rick and Wendy.
We have Kevin’s son, Dallen for the weekend, Mark and Debbie are also coming of course along with my brother Matt, and this time Mark’s parents, Moe and Judy, are coming. Its going to be a great way to spend some time with the men in our family.
We will be having these for dinner on Saturday after a long fun day of quading. Debbie is going to make the steak, onions and mushrooms ahead of time and then we are going to just throw them together when were ready to eat.
I am so excited for these! I can’t get enough, they are sooooooo good!
Keira and Vegas apparently think so too! When we were taking some photographs of these to share with you, they were totally underfoot the whole time. I think they were hoping that if they were reeeeaaaaally good, maybe they might get a little taste.
Sorry puppy dogs…
Steak Sandwich with Onions, Mushrooms, Havarti & Avocado
- FOR THE STEAK MARINADE
- 1 large flank steak
- 3/4 cup soya sauce
- 1/4 cup citrus juice (I have used orange juice,pineapple juice and a mixture of citrus juice)
- 4-5 clove of garlic (chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 3 tbsp brown sugarFOR THE CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion , sliced
- 1 tsp saltFOR EACH SANDWICH
- 1 bun (we used ciabatta buns)
- 1/2 cup sliced flank steak
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1 big slice of havarti cheese
- 1 tbsp mayo (or a little more or less depending on your tastes)
- 1 tbsp mustard (or a little more or less depending on your tastes)
- flank steak recipe, carmalized onion and mustard mixed with mayo
- Place the marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and marinate the flank steak at least 4-5 hour or overnight is best.
- While the steak is marinating, make your caramelized onions. Heat a pan on medium-low heat, add the oil or butter, your sliced onions and sprinkle with the salt. Cook for 8 - 10 mins or until the onions get nice and browned and sweet. Stir every couple mins. Be careful not to burn them. Set them aside to cool.
- When you are ready to cook your steak, heat your barbecue to medium-high heat. Wait for it to get nice and hot. So you can't hold your hand over the grill for more than a second.
- Throw your steak on the grill and cook for 4 mins. Then turn slightly, a quarter turn, and cook for another 4 mins. This will get you beautiful criss-cross char marks on your steak. Then turn it over and do the same on the other side.
- Take the steak off the grill and tent (cover) it with foil for at least 5 mins or up to 10 to let it rest and the juices redistribute.
- With a sharp knife, slice the steak in thin slices against the grain.
- When you are ready to make your sandwiches, put your oven on broil.
- Make your sandwich by brushing the bottom of the bun with a little mayo (optional) then piling the steak on top, followed by the onions and the cheese on top of it all. Place the bottom halves on a tray and put them under the broiler for a couple mins until the cheese is all melted.
- Spoon some mustard and mayo on the top half of the bun and place it on top of the melted cheese.