Well… its September. And here on the west coast we are getting a taste of whats to come in the next few months. Its been raining here since last Thursday and worse than that, its cold! Kevin even turned on our fireplace this weekend when we were curled up on the couch watching movies. A little premature maybe, but I had my thick pink fleece socks on when I was making breakfast in the kitchen that morning too! I love those socks and how cozy they are, but I don’t love what wearing them means:
Fall is approaching….
Im not ready for summer to end! And it isn’t really over, we usually get nice, even hot, days right up until the end of October.
But today is making us think comfort food! A bowl of pasta maybe? Yes. Please.
Or even better, Skinny Chicken Pasta with Veggies and Sun-dried Tomato Sauce! Comfort food doesn’t have to be calorie laden and heavy. This veggie packed dish will satisfy those food cravings on cooler days but you wont have to pay for it after.
Did you see the farmer sausage in there? I will eat anything with farmer sausage in it. So will Jessica. She is the farmer sausage queen… You should SEE her eyes light up when I tell her I have something with farmer sausage in it!
The sauce is made with broth and just a tiny bit of light cream cheese so its very light and flavorful. There are lots of veggies in our ingredient list, but you could substitute any veggies you like in here. Add more, or less, its up to you. You can also easily make this gluten free, by just making gluten free pasta rather than wheat. The sauce is thickened with a little corn starch so gluten free is easy.
I know fall and winter are coming, but this dish and ones like it, make the transition just a little bit easier.
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 2 cup broccoli
- 2 cup cauliflower
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 farmer sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carton (4 cups) chicken broth (low salt)
- ¼ cup light cream cheese (we like chive and onion)
- 4-6 tbsp sun dried tomato pesto
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 box rotini pasta
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Start a big pot of water on high for the pasta.
- Cut chicken into nice bite size pieces.
- Add olive oil to a large pan and sauté the chicken. Slice the farmer sausage into bite size pieces and add to the chicken. Cook for a few mins till both are done cooking. Set the meat aside.
- Clean and chop the broccoli and cauliflower into small bite size pieces.
- When the water is boiling, throw in your pasta and follow the direction on the pasta box to cook till al dente.
- Add the onion and the garlic celery to the pan and sauté. Cook for 2 mins and then add the carrots. Cook for about 2 mins then add the cauliflower and broccoli cook for another 2 mins. You don't want to over cook these now because they will be mushy and that's no good.
- Add the meat.
- Pour the chicken broth in the pan, but reserve ½ a cup, bring to simmer then add the cream cheese and the sun dried tomato pesto.
- Add drained pasta to vegetable and meat mixture.
- Add the cornstarch to the remaining chicken broth till its dissolved, to make a slurry. Then add to the pasta. This will thicken the sauce once it starts coming to a boil. Once the sauce has thickened it is time to enjoy your pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if you like and serve.