This grapefruit martini is our version of a Silk Road cocktail that harnesses the exotic herbs and spices found in the gin, ginger, star anise and bitters to deliver a balanced cocktail with a silky finish.
This lovely cocktail is inspired by a cocktail that I saw briefly on instagram, thought it looked amazing and then lost it forever. However, I managed to remember that the name of the cocktail had “Silk Road” in it. After googling a “silk road” cocktail, we found that it was a cocktail that is usually made with gin and crafted with exotic spices, hence the name “silk road” after the famous spice trade route. This is our version made with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, ginger infused simple syrup, tart lime juice, a touch of freshly grated ginger, star anise, a couple shakes of rhubarb bitters and topped off with a bit of bubbly. Just to make it sparkle!
We absolutely LOVE this cocktail. I think we will probably make these to sip on after Father’s Day dinner. I think the boys will even love them. I know Mark, Debbie’s husband, will for sure. He appreciates a fruity cocktail from time to time. These are definitely in the fruity cocktail category, but they aren’t girly. Citrus and spice are manly right? Either way, this grapefruit martini, or Silk Road if you will, is firmly in our top 10.
We had a bit of a mishap, shall we say, during our photoshoot for this grapefruit martini. I was moving the board around to try to straighten out the lines and of course, this moved the cookie sheet we had in the back ground. It toppled over and hit the cocktail shaker in the back which, in turn, got knocked over and hit our lovely delicate cocktail glass which promptly tipped over and spilled the entire contents in my direction. All over our board and the floor and my legs. It was just like domino’s and Debbie and I just watched it happen, as if in slow motion, and we just stood there lol. Now that, my friends, is a terrible waste of an excellent drink. Plus a pain in the ass because we had to clean up EVERYTHING and then make another grapefruit martini and start again….
C’est la vie. We just decided that we needed one more after this one. For our troubles…
Ive had a number of requests for this stemware, but unfortunately I found ONE at Homesense, but I haven’t been able to find any others. I found a couple similar and beautiful glasses on Amazon so here are some links to those glasses:
- 2 oz gin
- 4 oz grapefruit juice (about 1 whole grapefruit)
- 1 tsp ginger infused simple syrup
- juice of half a lime
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 star annise
- couple shakes of rhubarb bitters (or any fruit bitters you might have on hand)
- top with champagne or sparkling wine (about 3 - 4 oz)
GINGER INFUSED SIMPLE SYRUP
- good 2 or 3 inch chunk of fresh ginger cut into smaller chunks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Make the simple syrup. Add all the ingredients to a small pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture thickens into a syrupy liquid. Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Store in an airtight container (mason jars work great) until you are ready to use it.
- Make the cocktail. Add all the ingredients EXCEPT THE BUBBLY, into a cocktail shaker. Shake it well to combine and pour into a martini glass or other similar size cocktail glass.
- Top with the sparkling wine or champagne and serve.