Lasagna is one of our family’s favorite dishes. Debbie says that every time she asks my sister Sam what she wants for dinner, Lasagna is the answer. It has been one of my daughters very favorites since she was a toddler. However, and I have no idea why, she doesn’t like the melted cheese layer on top! She actually peels it off and doesn’t eat it. I know… shes bat crazy. I don’t get it at all. That’s my absolute favorite part. Isn’t that everyones favorite part?
Oh and hey, did you know that Lasagna is also Garfield’s favorite food. Ha! He would sure like this one. Seafood… Cats… get it?
Debbie told me that this recipe for Seafood Lasagna that has been in the family for quite some time. One of those old school recipes, written down on a recipe card. I have heard her talk about it here and there, but I had never tried it until now. As I have mentioned, Im not the biggest seafood fan so even though she told me that this Lasagna was delicious, I wasn’t in a hurry to try it. The other day she told me we were making it, and now Im glad she did. It is very, very good!
We did make some changes to the original recipe and we had to fool around with it a little because Debbie could only find the direction part of the recipe and not the ingredients list…lol. The joys of recipe cards. The original doesn’t have any vegetables in it and we felt like it should. So we added a lot! Zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, onions, and carrots. This Lasagna would be quite rich without them. The vegetables just add another delicious dimension of flavor, especially when they are covered in the cheese sauce layer. Yum!
You could make this without the veggies if you like. You would just need to double the seafood so you could add another layer.
We made our pasta from scratch and man does that ever make a difference in a Lasagna! You certainly don’t have to do this, but it doesn’t take that much extra time if you have a and its well worth it! The fresh pasta makes the Lasagna even more flavorful and tender than it would be otherwise. Plus you don’t have to boil the noodles before you start building your layers. You can get our recipe for fresh pasta here.
This would be an excellent dish to make for a dinner party. Its a little more decadent and fancy than regular beef Lasagna. And did I mention that its delicious?
- FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE LAYER
- 400 g Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese
- 500 g Cottacge Cheese
- 1 egg
- 125 mls Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped Basil
FOR THE VEGGIE LAYER
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cups Mushrooms sliced
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 big box of Spinach
- 2 Zucchini's sliced in thin rounds
- 5 Carrots grated
FOR THE SEAFOOD LAYER
- 1 can Mushroom Soup
- 2 cans Crab
- 2 cans Shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated old white cheddar (enough to cover the lasagna)
- If you are making your own pasta, do that now. Or boil some water and cook your lasagna noodles as you are making the rest of the layers...
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
- In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, cottage cheese, egg, sour cream, and basil. Set asside.
FOR THE VEGGIES
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium. Add the onion and mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and cook until they have released their liquid and browned. Then add the spinach and stir until wilted. Set this aside.
- Slice the zucchinis in rounds about ¼ inch thick.
- Grate all the carrots.
FOR THE SEAFOOD LAYER
- In a bowl mix together the mushroom soup, crab and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper.
TO PUT IT TOGETHER
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- If you have made your own pasta, make the noodles now. Use your pasta maker or roll out the layers.
- In a large lasagna pan start building the layers. Start with a layer of cheese, then noodles, then a layer of veggies.
- For the veggie layer, spread the zucchini rounds over the noodles, then sprinkle over the carrots, then add the mushroom, onion, spinach mixture.
- Make another layer of cheese over the veggies and then another layer of noodles.
- Next make a layer of the seafood mixture. We used all the seafood in one layer.
- Just keep layering like that until you run out of room or ingredients. Then sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Ours went like this from the bottom up: cheese, noodles, veggies, cheese, noodles, seafood, noodles, veggies, cheese, noodles, and then the grated cheese on top!
- Put the lasagna in the oven and bake uncovered for about 45 - 55 mins until the cheese on top is melted and bubbling.