I don’t drink latte’s very often. I usually take my coffee black, but every once in a while I like to curl up with a special coffee and watch my morning show on the weekend before I get my shit together and get moving for the day. Usually that special something is Carolan’s Irish cream, but this time, its even more special. Have you ever had pumpkin in your coffee? Pumpkin, all the pumpkin pie spices and whipped cream vodka ? You must! It’s divine…
The pumpkin syrup is easy to make and it makes enough for a number of coffees. It will keep well for at least two weeks in the fridge so you don’t have to worry about making the whole batch. You will use it. If you usually take your coffee with sugar, you could also just use this syrup instead and leave out the vodka on days when you have to go into work.
If you’re like me and you don’t have a fancy shmancy espresso maker like Debbie does, you can make a strong small bit of coffee and just add warm milk, or coconut milk, or cashew milk to your coffee along with the syrup and vodka. Or froth your milk with one of those little hand held electric whisky things. The foam isn’t necessary for it to be delicious, but it’s fun if you can make it. For milk mustaches of course…
This will be in my mug on Saturday morning while I’m wrapped up in my housecoat and knee-high bright pink thick fleece socks and my blue fleece blanket around all that, trying to keep warm in the trailer. It gets freeking cold in there at night and this baby will warm me from the inside out first thing!
- PUMPKIN SYRUP
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 oz espresso coffee
- 1-2 oz pumpkin spice syrup (depending how sweet you like your coffee)
- 1½ oz whipping cream vodka
- 1 cup steamed milk or coconut milk
- sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon
- First make the syrup. Place all the ingredients in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer away for 5 minutes then take it off the heat and let it cool down a little. Strain the mixture through a cheese cloth, pour into a small storage container with a lid. Store in the fridge.
MAKE THE LATTE
- Make espresso or very strong coffee. Pour into a coffee mug. Add the pumpkin syrup and vodka and stir.
- Heat up and froth the milk. Pour into the coffee mug and stir.
- Finish with a little sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon.