Happy Monday everyone!
Debbie and I have another cookbook review and recipe from the book to share with you today. The cookbook is “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year in Holidays” by Ree Drummond and we really love this one! This month we are giving away one of these books to one lucky reader. All you have to do is fill out an entry at the bottom of this post. You will also find a link to the rest of the posts that members of our cookbook club have posted about this cookbook and a few additional sneek peak recipes.
The recipe from the book that we decided to share with you is the Chimichuri Shrimp with Zesty Lime Rice. These come from the Cinco de Mayo section of the book. The book we got is a hardcover and its really beautiful. Its FULL of pictures both of the food and the steps in each recipe, but also of Ree Drummonds family, ranch, and my favorite, her dog. The pictures of the dog really made me laugh because hes dressed up in different outfits for each one lol. Shes even got him in a dinosaur costume for her Halloween section! You can really tell the care and the effort that went into making this book special.
We highly recommend this cookbook and we are certainly glad we have it now in our collection. To get your own copy, you can find it on amazon at the link below. OR… scroll down to the bottom of this post to enter our draw to win your own copy. 🙂
Debbie and I really liked the variety in the recipes included in the book. There are everything from drinks and appies, to desserts and everything in between. She has at least 3 different potato skin recipes! I love potato skins! And her pico de gallo recipe is exactly the way we like to make ours so she gets points for that too 😉 The Coffee Granita recipe that we posted for Cocktail Friday came from this book as well. We changed it up slightly from the original recipe to make it a cocktail and it was amazing! I highly recommend having an iced coffee that way!
The other two recipes we have tried so far are the Chimichuri Shrimp and the Zesty Lime Rice. Both were fantastic! The Chimichuri sauce was so easy to prepare and not only was it delicious with the shrimp, but I cant wait to try it with a flank steak and maybe make tacos with it! The sauce is just so flavorful, I think there would be a number of ways to use it. The Zesty Lime Rice was equally good. I have never tried to make rice flavored with lime juice and both Debbie and I loved it! I will be making this rice again as well. Here are the sneek peak recipes for the shrimp and rice!
- 1 large bunch Cilantro
- ½ bunch Parsley
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Juice of 3 Limes
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Olive Oil
For the Shrimp
- 3 lbs raw Shrimp
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Fill a blender or food processor with the cilantro and parsley. Then add the lime juice, garlic, cumin and cayenne, and salt.
- While the blender is on, add the olive oil slowly. Blend until it is well pureed and somewhat smooth.
- Place the shrimp in a dish and spoon half the chimichuri sauce over top and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the other half of the sauce into a small bowl for dipping and refrigerate till its ready to use.
- When your ready to make the shrimp, pour the 2 tsps of olive oil into a skillet and heat to medium high.
- Sauté the shrimp till they all turn pink but be careful not to over cook them.
- Serve with Zesty Lime Rice or another side dish :)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 large Onion
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- Juice and Zest of 3 Limes
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté for a few mins being careful not to let them burn.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Stir for a few mins with the onion and garlic.
- Add the broth and salt and then the lime juice and half the lime zest.
- Cover and cook for about 20 - 25 mins stirring once or twice part way through.
- When its ready, sprinkle on the rest of the lime zest and give it a stir.
- Its ready to serve!
Make sure to enter into our draw to win one of these cookbooks for yourself! When you enter, we would appreciate it if you enter through one of our Cooks with Cocktails links 🙂