Ok, I know what you’re thinking… Pineapple and Cinnamon!!!!??? Really???? And our answer is YES. REALLY. Somehow infusing pineapple juice with cinnamon, star anise, and nutmeg and then mixing it with pineapple vodka and white wine creates this wonderful sangria that is like the best of summer and Christmas all smashed together and it works! Like magic…
This sangria is obviously very pineapply but the flavor of the winter holiday spices shines brightly through. At first, I will admit that I wasn’t sure if I would like it. We have definitely tried a number of flavor combinations throughout the life of this blog and when we cheers and take our first sips, we look at each other and we know… Sometimes we fail epically, some are good, and others are a smashing success. This cocktail is most definitely in the smashing success category. The only problem with these is that they are so delicious that they are quite easy to drink fast so you have to make lots!
You can find a recipe to make your own pineapple vodka here.
We loved this sangria when we drank it straight away, but we also had some after it chilled in the fridge overnight and it was even better then! So if you can, make it ahead of time.
Serve these at your next Xmas party and you are sure to have a number of guests raise their eyebrows at you questioningly only to be super impressed with your creativity and skill after they take their first taste. Your welcome… 🙂
Pineapple Cinnamon Sangria
- FOR THE SPICED INFUSED PINEAPPLE JUICE
- 4 cups pineapple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 nut of nutmeg grated or 1/4 tsp
- 2 star anniseFOR THE SANGRIA
- 1 cup pineapple vodka
- 1 bottle white wine
- 4 cups spiced pineapple juice
- 1/4 fresh pineapple , diced
- sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top
- Heat the pineapple juice and spices in a medium pot until it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover and let it sit for 30 mins. Then turn the heat off completely and let the juice come to room temperature.
- To make the sangria, mix the pineapple juice, pineapple vodka, white wine, and pineapple in a pitcher. Let the mixture chill in the fridge.