Every second fall for the last few years, Debbie and I have made amazing pickled beets. Not to brag or anything 😉 but they are the best I have tasted.
What? They are!
We boil them, peel them and then process them with spices. This ends up being quite a production since we always have a ton of beets! Neither of us like the job of peeling, but at least the one who gets stuck peeling the dang things gets their drinks made for them… Im pretty sure this year is another beet year so I will be sure to post our recipe so you too can have the best pickled beets ever!
This Pickled Beet Salad is my favorite way to eat our beets. Leafy greens, beets, tangy and creamy chévre goat cheese, maple roasted pecans, a sprinkle of dill, all drizzled with olive oil, balsamic reduction and a little pickled beet juice. Oh YUM!
This is also my favorite way to eat this salad, but you could also change it up a bit if you have slightly different ingredients in your fridge. I like mine with Kale in it, but regular mixed greens or any type of lettuce works here. You also don’t need to use chévre goat cheese (but its the best). You could use feta or any other type of goat cheese, but it really should be something sorta soft and crumbly. Our recipe for Maple Roasted Pecans is really easy and so dang good. I highly recommend using them in this salad, however if you don’t, I have had it with regular pecans and its still good.
I have a friend who is a chef and he is the one that gave me the idea for this salad. One night he was over and went looking through my fridge. He spotted my pickled beet jar and once he tasted them he said, “Wow, these are the best pickled beets I have ever tasted!” Ok well, maybe that wasn’t exactly what he said… but he was impressed that I had made them. He then went to work and whipped up a salad that was freeking fantastic! I didnt have any candied pecans but other than that and the dill, this salad is pretty much the same as the one he made for me that night. Thank you P!
You might not have any homemade pickled beets, but store bought ones will work just fine. I love that this salad is so easy that you can make it whenever, but its also one that will impress your guests at a dinner party. I get rave reviews every time!
- 2 cups Lettuce chopped or Mixed Greens
- 1 cup Kale chopped
- 8 - 10 Pickled Beets cut into bite sized pieces
- ¼ cup or so of Chévre Goat Cheese
- ¼ cup Maple Roasted Pecans
- 2 tbsp Dill chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Reduction
- 2 tbsp Pickled Beet Juice
- Salt and Pepper (I like Maldon salt with this salad)
- Arrange your lettuce or mixed greens and kale on two plates
- Place half of each of the rest of the ingredients around your plate on top of the greens. The beets, chévre goat cheese, and pecans.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the dill on top
- Use the remaining ingredients to dress the salad. Drizzle the olive oil, balsamic reduction, and pickled beet juice over the works.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper how you like it and serve.