Im just going to warn you, this Potato Salad caused some controversy in our family! You wouldn’t think that Potato Salad could do that, would you? Well apparently some people feel pretty strongly about the presence of mayonnaise in a Potato Salad. Debbie told me that after we made it and she took it home for Mark and Sam’s dinner, neither of them could wrap their heads around a No Mayo Potato Salad and had to add some when they ate it.
Not only that, but a full week later, the next time I saw Mark, he made a point of telling me not to “mess with Potato Salad” and always make it with mayo. I find this all rather humorous and I think the next time we post a Potato Salad it should be one of those German Potato Salads. Delicious, but also with no mayo! Ha!
I don’t mind mayo in my Potato Salad. Except for those store bought ones that are like eating mayo from the jar with a few potato pieces thrown in. I cant even do it.
The point of this salad is to have a healthier option when you want Potato Salad. Yes there is a fair amount of Olive Oil in the salad if you consider the whole thing, but if your just having this as a side dish you are getting a serving of healthy fat, some delicious potatoes, and a good portion of protein. Much better than the mayo version that is made with genetically modified canola oil that is highly processed to be “safe” for human consumption and is full of saturated fat and cholesterol. If you care about your health and you want to eat mayo, buy the mayo made with olive oil or make some yourself.
This potato salad has a LOT of eggs in it. Hard boiled eggs. Have you ever made hard boiled eggs and then when you take the shells off and slice them open, the yolk has that ugly dark greyish layer around it?
That just drives me to drink! (Sometimes is the little things, you know?)
A while back I found a simple way to stop this from happening.
Here’s the Tip:
You put your eggs in a pot, cover them with water, then put the pot on high heat until it boils. Once it boils, cover and remove from the heat. Keep the lid on for 15 mins, then drain and cover with cold water. Follow these steps and you will get perfect hard boiled eggs every time!
I dont even miss the mayo at all in this salad. I think its super delicious and it tastes so fresh with the chopped dill and crunch from the celery.
No Mayo Potato Salad
- 12 large Eggs , hardboiled and shelled
- 2.5 lbs Baby Potatoes
- 5 stalks Celery , chopped
- 4 Green onions , sliced
- 3 - 4 tbsp fresh Dill , chopped
- 1 tbsp Montreal Steak SpiceFOR THE DRESSING
- 6 tbsp (2 oz) Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- 2 tbsp Agave Nectar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put your potatoes in a pot and fill with water. Heat to a boil. Once its boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook till potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat, drain and cover with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain all the water off again and set aside.
- Put your eggs into a pot, cover them with water, then put the pot on high heat until it boils. Once it boils, cover and remove from the heat. Keep the lid on for 15 mins, then drain and cover with cold water. Drain again, peel and slice the eggs and add them to a large bowl.
- Add the chopped celery, green onions and dill. Chop the potatoes in bite sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle all ingredients with Montreal steak spice.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing, shake or whisk well and pour over top of the salad.
- Mix well and serve.