Cherries are out in full force right now in all the markets close to me! There is a cherry pie (and also cherry Pavlova) in my very near future, but before that, here is this cherry-ish frozen cocktail to tide you over. I say cherry-ish, because it’s also made with mango. If it’s as hot where you are as it is here, you will be needing one of these. They are so easy to make… just cherries, mango, a lemon, a little simple syrup and spiked with a healthy splash of rum.
So here’s the thing, Debbie and I used sour cherries for this, because Debbie’s friend Sherril gave her a bunch, but really, you could use either. Sweet cherries would just require less simple syrup in the mix. Since they are abundant right now, that’s what I will use when I make these.
I’m going to share a trick to cutting up a mango. It’s how I learned to slice up mangos when my family lived in Haiti many years ago and ate copious amounts of mangos! Basically, you slice the mango down either side of the pit so you have two almost halves. Then slice the rest of the flesh from around the pit. Then take one of the halves and use a knife to slice the flesh longways first and then across to form little squares. Then press the skin and turn it inside out so the flesh pops out if you want to just eat it like that OR you can just slice it with a spoon or small knife. Just take a look at the picture at the top of this post. It’s sort of hard to explain so here’s a video that will show you. Trust me, you will eat more mangos, just because now you know how to slice em up easy!
Eat them raw and juicy, or make this rum cocktail!
- 2 mangos
- 1 cup sour cherries or sweet cherries
- 1¼ cup white rum
- 4 tbsp cup simple syrup (if using sweet cherries, reduce that to 2 tbsp.) or honey
- 1 lemon
- 2 - 3 cups of ice
- Cut up your mangos and get rid of the pit and skin. Add them to a blender.
- Add your sour or sweet cherries, white rum, simple syrup or honey, lemon juice and ice.
- Blend well till there are no chunks and the ice is broken down into a slush.
- Taste it and adjust the sweetness as needed.
- Pour into glasses and serve!