All cooks know that when you make stock or soup with the bones, it rocks! Way better than stock from a box or a cube. Thats what makes this pasta dish so dang flavorful and tasty. Such a great way to get another use from the bones of your roast chicken from the night before. Not to mention get all those little morsels of chicken left on the bones. Roasting the bones in the oven before making the sauce just adds another depth of flavor that you dont usually find in a pasta dish. I hope that doesnt gross you out! I know some people, carnivores or no, can get a little squeamish thinking that the meat we they just ate was an actual animal. At least when you make a dish like this, you are using all of the animal, like its supposed to be when we eat.
Um… just dont look too closely at the pieces. No really, dont…
You looked didnt you?
Debbie found the beginnings of this recipe from Christine Cushing a few years ago. Unfortunately she cant remember where so we are unable to credit the source any further… However, it has become a family favorite and for good reason. Wait till you try it!
On top of being delicious, this dish is super healthy and nutritious. Its made even better for you if you use gluten free pasta. I like the pasta made with quinoa the best. You cant tell the difference from wheat pasta and it wont spike your blood sugar like crazy. Kind of a no brainer, but each to their own… 😉
There are lots of additions that you could make to this recipe. Green Beans, Kale, Mushrooms… Whatever you like. I know the next time I make it, I will be adding Kale and Mushrooms. However, its just fantastic the way it is too.
Leftover Chicken and Tomato Pasta
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Chicken Carcass
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Onion Quartered
- 3 Carrots chopped in large chunks
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 Garlic Bulb , skin and all
- 1 - 19 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsps Fresh Basil Chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 box of your favorite Pasta (Gluten Free ;))
- Put the leftover chicken carcass in a dutch over or roasting pan and roast in the oven at 350 for about an hour until the carcass starts browning nicely.
- Then on the stove on medium high, add the chicken breast, chicken broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic bulb into the pot and boil.
- Reduce till liquid is about 2 cups
- Drain the whole lot and discard the bones and veggies leaving only the chicken and liquid. Take all the meat off the bones if there is any left and put it back in the sauce.
- Take the chicken breast out and cut into bite sized pieces.
- At this point add your pasta in boiling water and cook as directed on the box.
- Add canned tomatoes, lemon juice, and basil to the broth. Taste the seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
- When the pasta is ready add it to the sauce.
- Dish it up and finish generously with parmesan cheese.