Merry Christmas Eve everyone!
Let me introduce you to this Hot Onion and Gruyere Dip, a.k.a my favorite dip in the whole wide world!
Debbie first made this dip a couple years ago and it was a huge hit from the very first bite. I love gruyere cheese. If I could have one cheese only to eat for the rest of my life, it would be gruyere. No question…
This little appetizer is my favorite melted gruyere, mixed with salty prosciutto, savory onions and some creamy mayo it really easy to make and absolutely over the top good. Im seriously craving it right now just thinking about it. Debbie is coming over on Christmas and she has some, she said she will bring some for me if there is any left after Xmas eve at her house. Im hopeful, but I know Mark really likes this dip too so Im pretty much shit out of luck.
Debbie and I have made this together a few times but never unless there are a bunch of people around to eat it. I would not be able to stop eating it and its very rich and not figure friendly, so I wont make it unless there are a bunch of people to help eat it.
One thing… when you make this, dont cook the onions till they are caramelized. Well you can if you like, but we find that the they get too sweet and the dip doesnt taste nearly as good.
Omg, do you see how good that looks!
Debbie made this last weekend for the Christmas party they had for Mark’s company. He has a logging company so they threw a party for their employees, colleagues and friends. We were all treated to this dip, along with a number of other tasty treats like Crack Nuts and Bolts, Raspberry and Coffee Truffles, and Homemade Turtles. Not only did we eat well, we had a lot of fun too!
This would be a great dip for your New Years Party! Just sayin…
Tomorrow is Christmas!
Debbie and I both wish you a Merry Christmas and hope Santa treats you well this year. 😉 Enjoy the holiday with your family and friends and a couple days off work too…
Hot Onion and Gruyere Dip
- 5 onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g gruyere cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 sour cream
- 300 g prosciutto
- pepper to taste
- chopped green onion or chives for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat.
- Cut the onions in thin slices and add to the frying pan with the olive oil.
- Mince the garlic and add to onions. Saute till onions are translucent, but not caramelized.
- In bowl add the mayo, sour cream and grated gruyere cheese. Mix till smooth.
- Add onions to the cheese mixture and blend.
- Fry prosciutto quickly in the frying pan then crumble and add to the onion mixture and stir.
- Place all ingredients in a heat resistant serving bowl and place in the oven cook for 20 mins till it gets all bubbly.
- Sprinkle with green onion or chives.
- Serve with crackers and enjoy