Oh my goodness you guys! This Christmas cocktail is a sensory experience! Debbie and I have been dying to share it with you so you can experience it too. Its almost December and if you have a Christmas party coming up, you now have the perfect beverage to share with your guests and set the mood all at the same time.
Last year around this time, we posted our Hot Buttered Rum recipe, which actually has been one of our most popular posts since, so this year we wanted to give you another hot beverage that literally screams Christmas. This Hot Buttered Rum with Apple Cider is as wonderful to smell as it is to taste and when you make it, it creates this amazing Christmasy feeling that will not disappoint!
We chose to make our own Apple Cider because homemade is ALWAYS the best, and as it was brewing, the smell was absolutely intoxicating! I could barely concentrate on anything else lol. We adapted a recipe from Gimme Some Oven, added a few ingredients and totally deleted the sugar. We used sweeter apples and we found that we didn’t have to add any sugar at all as it was naturally sweet enough for us. If you like it sweeter, at the very end of the cooking time, you could add a little organic cane sugar.
We used the same butter batter as we used in our Hot Buttered Rum and used Mt Gay dark rum from Barbados. Mt Gay is my favorite rum right now but you could also use my second favorite, Appletons Rum! To make this cocktail, you can do it one of two ways. One, fill a glass with steaming apple cider, add a knob of butter batter and a shot of rum. Stir and serve. OR… Once you are done brewing your apple cider, measure some and put it in a slow cooker. Put in about 1/2 tsp of the butter batter and 1 to 2 oz rum for every cup of cider. Either way, for a Christmas party you could have the apple cider simmering away in a crock pot and the smell will fill your whole house! Your guests will be in the Christmas spirit as soon as they step through the door 🙂
- APPLE CIDER
- 12 apples, quartered (gala or Fuji)
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 4 or 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 2 whole nutmeg, or 1 tsp ground
- 1 tbsp allspice berries, or 1 tsp ground
- 3 or 4 star annise
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 16 cups water
SPICED BUTTER BATTER
- ½ c butter at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp coarse salt
FOR THE COCKTAIL
- 2 oz rum
- ½ - 1 tsp butter batter
- 4 - 6 oz hot apple cider
- Wash apples and the oranges, and then roughly cut into quarters. (Don't worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems.) Place in a big pot over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, star annise, and halved vanilla bean.
- Add the water and bring to a boil then turn down the heat. Simmer on med-low for 3 hours.
- About an hour before the cider is done cooking, use a potato masher (or tongs or the side of a spoon) to mash the apple and orange slices once they are soft. Finish cooking for one more hour.
- When its done, strain through a cheese cloth and squeeze the apples in the cheese cloth to get maximum flavor from the apples.
THE BUTTER BATTER
- Add all the spices and sugar to the soft butter and mix well. Put the butter mixture on a piece of cling wrap and mold it into a log shape. Wrap it tightly and place in the fridge or freezer to harden a little bit.
MAKE THE COCKTAIL
- Pour the rum and butter batter into a mug and fill with hot apple cider. Stir and serve!