We have a confession to make…
Neither Debbie or I really like Eggnog. For us both, its just too thick and too sweet. However, Rum and Eggnog is Kevins favorite Christmas cocktail and we know that there are lots of other Eggnog lovers out there so we thought we would play around with it and post a version that we liked. Or at least one that Kevin liked…
As we were talking about it, Debbie remembered that her dad (and my grandpa), Peter, used to make Rum and Eggnog from scratch every year. Debbie remembers him doing this ever since she was a little girl. Peter was a Aero Technican in the Canadian Forces so he fixed planes and taught others to fix them as well. When Debbie was little, they lived on a military base in Cold Lake, Alberta for about 6 or 7 years and this is where she remembers her dad making Rum and Eggnog the most. She recalls that he loved the stuff and always had a cup of Eggnog in his hand at Christmas. Back then, it was tradition for people to go house to house on Christmas Eve and in their house, the Eggnog was always placed in the middle of the coffee table with appies all around the bowl, ready for when people came by.
Peter passed away 4 years ago now… He was a quiet man, but he had a great sense of humor and he is sure missed! So needless to say, when she found his Eggnog recipe we knew we had to make it.
I wont say that its an easy recipe. The individual parts of it are easy, but theres sure a lot of mixing ingredients separately and then finally mixing the three parts together in the end. That said, its sure worth the effort! Like I said before, Debbie and I both dont really care for Eggnog, but this Eggnog is light and fluffy and not too sweet. Its lightly spiced and really very good! I couldnt believe how much I liked it! And Debbie liked it too. Go figure.
Its sure not a diet friendly cocktail, but I can handle one of these a year!
So the vanilla bean, cinnamon, and Kahlua are our extra additions to Peters master recipe. We just figured we would kick it up a notch, like we often do. 🙂 Im sure Peter would approve…
Enjoy! And let us know how you like it if you give this recipe a shot. We would love to hear from you!
Homemade Eggnog with Rum and Kahlua
- 6 eggs separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup kahlua
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Beat egg white until frothy, gradually add in 1/3 cup of the sugar and beat till stiff peaks.
- In another bowl beat whipping cream till stiff peaks.
- In yet another bowl beat egg yolks, add the remaining sugar and beat some more. Add the milk, light cream, rum and Kahlua. Mix well but gently.
- Pour all the ingredients into one big bowl or the bowl you’re going to serve the eggnog.
- Gently fold the egg whites and whipping cream into the eggnog and mix thoroughly but very gently. A whisk helps.
- Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the sticky seeds into the eggnog mixture. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir again.
- Chill and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon when you serve it.
Recipe NotesWe rimmed our glasses with cinnamon and coarse sugar. It tastes delish when you are drinking the eggnog.