Oh Yum! We love tacos of all kinds, but fish tacos are so light, fresh, and delicious we cant resist them and this amazing sauce!
Debbie first got hooked on fish tacos when she was in Hawaii a few years ago. She told me that she ate one on the first day she was there and pretty much ate only fish tacos the rest of the time she was there. It figures, Hawaii has some of the freshest seafood around, being surrounded by water and all. Its hard not to fall in love with fish when you can get it on your table the same day it was caught.
I have no idea when I first tried fish tacos, but its got to be my favorite way to eat fish. I especially like it when I can have them like this, using a lettuce leaf as a taco shell. Food that tastes great without all the carbs. Its comfort food without the gross heavy in the belly feeling. I hate that! Of course, if you like, you can wrap this in whatever you like, my waist just prefers them like this. It told me so… 😉
We like our fish tacos with a slightly spicy firm fish with sliced cabbage and a homemade salsa verde. The fish we prefer to use is mahi mahi, halibut or cod. All of these stay pretty firm and don’t get all mushy or too crumbly. We also grill or pan fry the fish. I think it tastes better than deep frying it with a bunch of batter. Not to mention, much better for you.
Debbie is a bit of a baby when it comes to spice so this recipe isn’t very spicy. If you like a little kick in your fish tacos like I do, add a whole or half a chilli to the salsa verde. If your not a fan of cilantro, Im sorry, theres nothing we can do for you…
Well, you could maybe use a creamy chipotle sauce instead. One of these days I will post a creamy chipotle sauce, but I like cilantro in that too, so we are back to square one…lol.
Fish Tacos with Salsa Verde in Lettuce Wraps
FOR THE FISH
- 3 Fillet of cod
- 1 tbsp Cajun Spice-
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
FOR THE SALSA:
- 1 can Tomatillo
- 1 Green Chili with seeds removed , or 1/2 can of canned Green Chilis (optional)
- 1 onion Chopped
- 4 - 6 cloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 cup Chicken BrothGARNISH and WRAP
- 1/2 cup Chopped Cabbage
- 1 green onion finely sliced
- Guacamole (optional)
- Large Romaine Lettuce leaves (or other lettuce), washed
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat.
- Cube fish into 1" cubes, put in bowl and coat the fish with olive oil. Then add the cajun spice, salt and pepper mix till evenly coated
- Add your fish to the hot pan and cook till your fish is flaky. This will only take a few mins.
FOR THE SALSA
- Chop your onion in med chucks.
- Next mince your your garlic. We will sometimes use a whole garlic because we love garlic.
- Saute till tender add your canned tomatillo, green chilis if you like, your chicken broth and your chopped cilantro. Simmer till liquid is reduced by half.
- Take off heat and let cool
- Chop your cabbage in thin strips.
- Take a large lettuce leaf and scoop some fish into it and top the fish with cabbage.
- Top with some salsa verde and some guacamole if you like.
- Sprinkle with green onion and serve!