Fall is coming. The sun is going down earlier and the days are getting cooler. Fall around here means that the rainy gloomy days are not far off and the only part of fall and then winter that Debbie and I look forward to is the food. We start thinking warm and cozy comfort food. Hearty meals that warm you from the inside out, like this one. On the bone chicken breast and baby potatoes braised in a creamy white wine sauce full of aromatic onions, garlic, fresh fragrant thyme, and earthy mushrooms. Delicious, healthy, and satisfying!
Debbie and I (and our men) love our comfort food, but for us, comfort food must also be healthy. At least most of the time! While maybe a sauce made from wine and a little half and half isn’t necessarily considered healthy, you only need a little sauce drizzled on top of your super healthy chicken so its kinda like that 80/20 thing right there on your plate. That’s good enough for us. If you like, you can always make this dish with half wine and half chicken stock OR with only chicken stock. But in our opinion, everything is better with wine! Yes?
How did you all spend your Labour Day long weekend? Debbie and I spent it camping in Tulemeen with our men, our daughters and quite a few friends. There were 20 of us if you include the 2 super cute bouncy six month old babies! 20 humans and a pack of 5 dogs. Totally awesome! And even more so that one of my best friends in the world, Jenn and her fiance, Tristan arrived at my house on Thursday evening straight from their 4.5 month driving tour of Central America and came camping with us the next day.
We spend Saturday at the fair in Princeton, watching jacked-up trucks and buggies running mud bog races and a smash up car derby. Then Sunday we went for a long quad ride up to beautiful Loadstone Lake, lit a fire and had lunch. There was a couple that was camping with us came all the way from Germany and Christoff (the husband) is an avid photographer. He had a drone with him and a GoPro camera strapped to it. He took some crazy awesome shots of us and the area from way up high! I can’t wait to get my hands on some and share them with you.
It was a fabulous weekend full of great friends, good food, lots of laughs, tons of fun and a shit load of mud, dirt and dust! A perfect way to end the summer and kick off the fall.
The next few weeks are going to be insanely busy for Kevin and I. We are moving in less than 4 weeks and I am happy to report that we have an accepted offer on a house not too far from where we live now. It’s an older home (1960’s) and it’s going to require some renovations before we move in, but only minor ones. New floors and paint throughout, new trim everywhere, new doors, a new kitchen (super excited for that one) and new vanity’s for the bathrooms. While that might seem like a lot, its a LOT less than we did to our current house. I am actually looking forward to picking paint colors and choosing flooring. I never thought I would be again! lol However, I am NOT looking forward to moving. But it’s a necessary evil to get us to where we want to be in life. Eyes on the prize…!
Luckily we have our trailer with a fridge, stove, and oven that we can park outside the new house while we are renovating. That makes things so much easier and we won’t have to go without fresh home cooked meals in the (hopefully) short time it takes us to get things done. One pot dinners like this one will definitely be on the menu.
Easy, flavorful and super comforting meals after long days of working on the house will be in order and this braised chicken and potatoes, paired with a salad or steamed vegetables fits the bill perfectly.
Braised Bone-in Chicken Breast in a Creamy Wine Sauce
- 4 - 6 bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt and pepper each
- 1 small ((1.5 lb) bag of baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 large onion , sliced or diced
- 1 whole head of garlic , minced or put through a press
- 2 - 3 cups mushrooms , quartered
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 2 - 3 cups white wine
- 2 tbsp cornstartch
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 tsp salt and pepper each or more to taste.
- Heat a large oven proof skillet on medium high heat. While you are waiting for it to get hot, season your chicken well with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 375.
- When the pan is hot, add the coconut or olive oil and then the chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides and then remove it from the pan. Set aside for a moment.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute for a few mins, making sure to scrape all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and the thyme and saute again for a few more mins.
- Add the wine and cook the sauce till the wine starts to bubble a bit. Make a slurry (or paste) with a little wine and the cornstarch and add it to the pan. Stir till the sauce starts to thicken and then add the cream.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and then return the chicken to the pan. Add the baby potatoes and place the skillet in the oven.
- Cook for 25 to 30 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Make sure to test a thick piece before you take the chicken off the heat.
- Cover the chicken and let it rest for 5 - 10 mins and serve.