My favorite way to eat ham is boiled for hours with the bone in. It takes a while but all you have to do is fill a pot with water, some seasoning, a few vegetables and walk away. Soon your house will start smelling so freeking good you and anyone who walks into your house while this is cooking will become immediately hungry! I think I mentioned before that Ham and Scalloped Potatoes is Kevin’s favorite meal, so I like to make it for him once in a while. If you dont have too many people to feed, its perfect for lots of leftovers too.
Another reason I love this ham is because it is so dang juicy and tender when its done. It pretty much just falls apart. You dont need any fancy sauce to go with this. We like it with plain old mustard, but honey mustard, or apple sauce or apple compote would be yummy too. I always make this Ham with water because broth can get too salty, but you can use any liquid you choose. I like it sometimes with Apple Juice or Apple Cider. You could use Orange Juice… Whatever.
Dont forget to save the bone. Once you get the meat off, throw it in a freezer bag and into the freezer. Make Split Pea soup with it later or some other Ham soup. So very good!
See look at it all falling apart and delicious! Yum!
- 1 large bone in Shoulder Ham (at least 3 lbs)
- 2 Onions in quarters
- 3 sticks of Celery roughly chopped
- 2 Apples in quarters
- 5 - 8 Cloves of Garlic smashed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- A few Peppercorns
- Pinch or two of Salt
- Rinse the Ham well and put it in a big pot. Big enough so that all or at least most of it can be covered by the liquid.
- Throw in all the other ingredients into the pot and fill with the liquid until the Ham is covered or almost covered. Water or whatever liquid you choose.
- Bring the works to a boil and lower the heat so its simmering.
- Let it simmer for 3 - 4 hours or till you cant stand to smell the goodness anymore.
- Pull the Ham out of the pot, pull it apart, cut the fat off and slice or pull it into pieces.
- Serve it up and watch the ham melt in your mouth! So good!