An apple cider martini made with chilled homemade cinnamony apple cider shaken with apple vodka, caramel vodka, and apple sour puss. A Christmas flavored cocktail.
Last week we posted our Hot Buttered Rum with Homemade Apple Cider and if you haven’t checked it out yet, go do that quickly. Go on. I’ll wait here for you…
And now that you’ve seen it, you know you will have to make it and when you do, you will need to save some of your amazing homemade cider and chill it to make this apple cider martini. Next to the Hot Buttered Rum this martini is my favorite right now. Its got all the flavors of Christmas and is sure to be a favorite for your upcoming Christmas party or an evening with the girls. Now you don’t have to always have apple cider served hot! Options are great, yes?
Kevin and I and our kids, Jessica and Dallen are putting up our Christmas tree this weekend. Im excited! I got to work this morning and my department was decorated to the nines. The little elves must have come in overnight and did their deed. And it worked! It got me in the Christmas spirit and I told Kevin we had to put our stuff up. I have some apple cider left so I will be having these apple cider martinis while Kevin has spiced rum and eggnog.
What Christmassy things are you doing this weekend?
Debbie and I made this apple cider martini with apple vodka, but the cider has enough flavor on its own if you only have regular vodka. You could also use store bought apple cider, but if you buy it, please buy the best/natural stuff you can find. It makes a difference in flavor! The sour puss and the Van Gough dutch caramel vodka are a must, in our opinion, or at least some kind of caramel vodka if you don’t want to spend the $ on Van Gough. We love love Van Gough vodkas, though. They are super flavorful and worth every penny…
If you love apple martini’s you are going to love this Christmas flavored one for the season.
- APPLE CIDER
- 12 apples, quartered (gala or Fuji)
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 4 or 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp cloves
- 2 whole nutmeg, or 1 tsp ground
- 1 tbsp allspice berries, or 1 tsp ground
- 3 or 4 star annise
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 16 cups water
FOR EACH MARTINI
- 1 oz apple flavored vodka
- ½ oz apple sour puss
- ½ oz dutch caramel van gough vodka
- 4 oz chilled apple cider
FOR THE RIM
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- MAKE THE APPLE CIDER
- Wash apples and the oranges, and then roughly cut into quarters. (Don't worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems.) Place in a big pot over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, star annise, and halved vanilla bean.
- Add the water and bring to a boil then turn down the heat. Simmer on med-low for 3 hours.
- About an hour before the cider is done cooking, use a potato masher (or tongs or the side of a spoon) to mash the apple and orange slices once they are soft. Finish cooking for one more hour.
- When its done, strain through a cheese cloth and squeeze the apples in the cheese cloth to get maximum flavor from the apples.
MAKE THE COCKTAIL
- Dip the edge of your glasses into a little water or lime juice. Then dip the rims in the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Tap off any excess.
- Put 6 or so ice cubes into a martini shaker. Add all the ingredients for the cocktail, shake well and pour into martini glasses. Add a slice of apple and/or a star annise for garnish if you like.