It is gorgeous outside my window right now. The days are getting longer, the sun is warmer, and its getting dang close to bikini season. Debbie and I have been busting our butts for the last 6 weeks to look good in our bikinis this weekend in Vegas so clean healthy food has been a huge part of our lives lately. Tons of salads, protein and minimal carbs and as little sugar as possible.
When you eat a lot of salads, you need to have options. We are always trying to come up with new dressings and flavor combinations to make our meals more interesting. This salad has a super healthful avocado dressing and tasty little chunks of sweet crunchy apple and smoky bacon bits. Bacon makes everything better, doesn’t it?
This dressing is made with avocado, lime, coconut milk and a little vinegar. Its smooth, creamy and just a little tangy as a good coleslaw dressing should be. We love it because it completely replaces the mayonnaise in traditional coleslaw dressing with avocado with all their fabulous omega 3’s. I think you could probably use this on a potato salad too. We may have to try that soonish.
The salad itself is so colorful and crunchy, full of fresh crisp apples and two kinds of cabbage. We use purple cabbage and savoy for the color and texture that both bring to the salad, but you can really use whatever you like. Use a sweet apple too, not a granny smith type. That bit of sweetness that you get when you take a bite with apple in it is my favorite part of this salad. I like that even more than the bacon bits if you can believe that.
We know that bacon is not healthy, but if you cook it right down and render the fat and then drain it on paper towel and discard the rendered fat, just a little is ok, right? You could really just leave it out if you like too.
This salad would be great to take to a bbq or potluck this spring and summer. Its so easy to throw together and everyone will love it. Even the men. Mark loved it!
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Apple and Bacon Coleslaw with Avocado Dressing
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp celery powder
- salt and pepper to tasteFOR THE SALAD
- 2 carrots
- 3 green onion
- 6 cups cabbage (we used purple and savoy)
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 apple
- First make the dressing. Put everything in a food processor or a bowl and mix till smooth.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan. Remove the bacon bits and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Shred the cabbage into desired thickness. We like ours quite thin. Add to a large bowl.
- Grate carrots, chop onion and add to the cabbage.
- Cut apples into small chunks and add to bowl.
- Add avocado dressing to cabbage mixture and stir. Top with the bacon bits and give it a little toss again.
- Serve immediately.